Goal 5: Promote the development of responsible citizens.
Instill positive character traits in all students.
- Promote the Character Counts program as the K-12 character education curriculum by ensuring K-8 students receive Character Counts instruction from a counselor a minimum of twice each month and by allotting time each week for all 9-12 students to receive Character Counts instruction.
- Select and purchase instructional materials needed to support the Character Counts curriculum.
- Provide professional development enabling staff to integrate core ethical values into their curriculum.
- Continue implementation of the “No Bullying” program.
- Utilize “No Bullying” tapes in K-8 guidance classes and in ninth grade wellness classes.
Promote community service.
- Build Habitat for Humanity House in conjunction with the carpentry class at the Career Technology Center.
- Encourage participation in volunteer programs, such as the Obion County Sheriff’s Department Toy Drive at Christmas, the Reelfoot Rural Ministry’s Food Drive, after-school program volunteers, nursing home visitation, Agape House, Safe House (for abused and battered women and children).
Back to Objectives and Strategies